Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Story Turns

After discovering the "official" Britain's Got Talent web site and viewing the second episode I find myself mad about Simon's behavior. Who would have thought – certainly not me – that I actually have an option about this, let alone that I'm upset about it. The second show features some young man, lad I guess they'd call him, singing as if he were a Michael Jackson sound-a-like. Simon stops the music and has the kid select a different song, because he thinks it's not going well or he's not singing a sellable song. I don't think that's ever happened before – has it? The kid's OK, but only OK. He's not that great, but Simon looks like he sees  a record deal in the future – hum.

Now I find that I'm actually rooting for Susan Boyle over this little kid. She's earned a chance, she's paid her dues. The kid is just a kid. Next year is fine for him – don't push it. Simon, don't be greedy. What am I saying?

Later....
Well the Wikipedia article about Miss Boyle is informative, perhaps psychologically therapeutic, and alludes to a record deal with Simon after all. It better happen. There's a page about the show too and I see I don't really know how the show works after all. i've never seen the American version at all. I'm not sure I've even heard of it.

Wow, I'm an "official" Susan Boyle fan and I didn't even know it. Yes, I've heard "Cry Me A River" that she does. It's pretty good. She infuses emotion into her singing and that was ten years ago. It's that disconnect between her voice and her look, but the more I hear her sing the more I like it. Just let her be herself. Isn't that what we all should wish for ourselves and others.

Maybe this is the new internationalism. We're sucked into the new world order by pulling for dowdy Scottish singers – of substance. In the end I hope Susan Boyle gets to sing for the Queen. I guess I'll be watching somewhere on May 23 for the next round. Who knew?

This is the real power of the internet. It's either personal, a strikingly good imitation of real, or it simply reads that way. Maybe we should all be afraid instead, because it's emotionally deeper than we thought. When it works, it really works. At least be wary – and always use a microphone. God save the Queen.

gunther

No comments:

Post a Comment